FIRE ROASTED TWINKIES!

Fire Roasted Twinkies! REI Hostess Bankruptcy
Fire Roasted Twinkies! YUM!
Is the Twinkie really dead?? That is yet to be seen, but they are definitely now on the "endangered species" list at the very least. While these little snacks are not the healthiest, they are an American icon and true culinary classic. Their demise is truly unfortunate. 

The future of the Twinkie, while bleak, is still a bit uncertain. The familiar cream-filled sponge cake may or may not truly be gone forever. It is quite possible that another company will buy the rights and recipe from Hostess and keep the Twinkie alive. It is yet to be seen. 

In the meantime, there are recipes online for making your own Twinkies at home. While not as convenient as purchasing them by the box at the store, for those of us who have an intense craving for a good ole "los submarino", there is an answer... and that if of great comfort!

I haven't eaten a Twinkie in years. I have to admit, I completely took them for granted and just assumed the would always be available at the store to purchase anytime I wanted one (which wasn't all that often), but for some reason the demise of the Twinkie this week made me... it made me miss them!! I miss having them with ice cream and fresh strawberries! I miss making fun of people who loved eating them battered and deep fried! 

And only now that the Twinkie may be gone forever do I discover that they are terrific toasted over a fire like marshmallows! I never knew! And I may never get a chance to try this!

Well, regardless of whether I am able to locate a box of Twinkies or someone buys the Twinkie recipe and puts it back on the market... or I simply make my own homemade Twinkies, I WILL get my chance to try fire-roasting Twinkies! This I swear!!!  ;)